As we all know it is only in the twentieth century that public relations came to be codified, formalized and practiced as a profession. However, it is as old as the human race. Every organization, institution, and individual has public relations whether or not that fact is recognized. As long as there are people, living together in communities, working together in organizations, and forming a society, there will be an intricate web of relationships among them.
The good will of the public is the greatest asset that any organization can have. A public that is well and factually informed is not only important; without’ it, an organization cannot survive long. Therefore, the starting point for good public relations in any organization is the development of sound policies that are in the public interest. Public understanding and approval must be deserved before they can be earned.
Role of Public Relations in different sectors-
- Role of PR in Government Sector-
- Implementation of public policy.
- Assisting the news media in coverage of government activities.
- Reporting the citizenry on agency activities.
- Increasing the internal cohesion of the agency.
- Increasing the agency’s sensitive to its public’s.
- Mobilisation of support for the agency itself.
- Role of PR in Public Sector- Why do Public Sector Need PR?
- Contributes to national economy
- Is profitable and productive core sector.
- Has social commitment
- Contributes to revival of sick units
- Primary function of PR is to build image of public sector companies and tell the world about contribution made towards the economic and social well being of the people.
- Role of PR in NGO-
- PR support is required for raising fund.
- NGO survives on public perception and support for this communication plays an important role.
- NGO projects itself as a service-oriented organization in order to attract the attention of charitable trusts and donors for financial help.
- It relates to the dissemination of information about is services and plans so as to enable people to make use of them for their betterment.
- NGO maintains good media relations so that media carries message both to donors and beneficiaries and build an image of an organization.
- The best way of promoting NGOs is not as costly as advertising and when properly handled PR can produce more positive results in fund raising, media coverage, and projection of organization.
- Role of PR in Startups-
- Go Social- The power of Facebook and Twitter can help as marketing devices to help you emerge
- Share your knowledge – Sharing your knowledge regularly by publishing blogs, writing articles or newsletters can bring you a great fan following.
Hire Interns- The interns are nowadays struggling to find good internships. Use them and build a reputation. A good reputation will ultimately lead to good business.